D word with cutter comp

List

I recently sent a condensed version of the RS274NGC text file to Fred Smith
of imsrv.com.  He is working on a Vector CAM configuration file for EMC.
There seems to be some question about D words as used with cutter comp.

Does the current interpreter require a D word on each line that has a G41
or G42?

Is there any other way of assigning the D value?

I see that the RS274VGER document states that, for it, the D word is
optional with the default value taken from the currently loaded tool.  Will
this become the standard?  If yes, can we suggest an approximate switchover
date?