Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC-installation

Maybe they should have called it "EMC for Dummies"

Steve

----------
From: Clint Bach <clintbach-at-earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <emc-at-nist.gov>
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC-installation
Date: Friday, April 07, 2000 10:29 AM

Hi,

I had a problem free install of both rt 2.2.13 and emc. I installed the
version of emc which comes with "Linux for Dummies". It uses the 2.2.12
RedHat  kernel. Next, I downloaded a new pre patched kernel. If you use
a pre patched kernel you get all the stuff rt needs... It's good
insurance.

After unpacking the tarball I followed the instructions in install.phil
and everything went without a glitch. My first install I tried the other
install instructions and failed.

EMC installed without a glitch. It was easy.

Now, if only the 2.2.13 version from Mar 15 didn't have that one little
bug that makes it useless I all would be Great!!! That bug is that it
looses two steps when changing directions. It only happens in one
direction so the two lost steps accumulates. Even if I could get EMC to
lose steps in both directions instead of only one it would be useful.
The problem is that my Slo-Syn drivers need a little more time to settle
down on the direction change. Could a pull up or pull down resistor
perhaps eliminate this? Maybe a capacitor on the driver's direction
input would make it lose a step in both directions? Could this be
handled by a post processor in Vector that adds two steps at a direction
change? Is this already fixed in the next version of EMC?

BTW, I'm using steppermod instead of freqmod because I get following
errors at anything over 0.6 jog rates. I could probably figure that one
out with the .ini file.

Is there a current document which explains what every field in the .ini
file does and has recommendations about what to set them to? Perhaps
with a trouble shooting section?