PLAT=? .ini variables.

The PLAT=? ini file variables are used to determine which directory the various
programs are run from.

It seems to me that these are unnecessary since the run script could determine
these from a combination of the results from `uname' and  the programs name.

Attached is an example generic.run script that does this and effectively ignores
the settings in the .ini files.

I claim that this has the following advantages.

1. It makes it easier to upgrade or switch back to an older version of linux or
rtl, since the .ini files would  not necessarily have to be modified each time.

2. If you try to run under the wrong kernel version you will get one text
message instead of random problems that could possibly crash your system.

3. One less inifile variable to worry about.

If you really prefer the ini variable you can still use it with this script
by setting the environment variable USE_INIFILE_PLATS to 1.

I am not sure I have yet convinced Fred of the value of this approach so if you
have any opinions, let us know.

-- Will

William Penn Shackleford III			shackle-at-nist.gov
National Institute of Standards & Technology	Tel:	(301) 975-4286
100 Bureau Drive Stop 8230  			FAX:	(301) 990-9688
Gaithersburg MD  20899  USA
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personnel/shackleford/
Office Location: Bldg. 220 Rm A253

generic.run