RE: Linux version?

At 08:47 PM 3/22/2000 -0500, Jim wrote:

>I'd also like to build a crude psuedo x-y positioner, just
>coupling nuts on all-thread, but I'm on the horns of a dilemma.  My 486
>probably won't run steppers, right?  I have some small servo motors, but
>don't want to shell out for an STG card for an exercise.

I minimized backlash with all-thread several years ago on a project by
putting two nuts into a holder with a spring between them.  Drag goes up
some and you've got to keep the nuts oiled.  The customer was happy with
the result for the price.

I doubt that the 486 would run freqmod very well unless you are satisfied
with very slow motion or very large steps. My guess is that steppermod
would do fine on a 486 for the light loads and small motors that you would
be dealing with.