EMC error message?

I am setting up a Pentium 133 with the newest build of EMC on RedHat 5.2. I
added the new PERIOD parameter to the ini file and am trying to figure out
where to set it. If I start at the default value I just keep getting the
error message:

emcsh.cc 321: emcStatus buffer not available

As I raise the PERIOD value I get this error message a few times and then
the interface comes up (tkemc). The question is, what does this error tell
me and is the correct way to eliminate it to raise the PERIOD setting until
the error goes away?

Tim
[Denver, CO]