From: Jon Elson [jmelson-at-artsci.wustl.edu]
Sent: donderdag 16 maart 2000 21:03
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: emc backlash compensation

"Eding, Bert" wrote:

> I want to measure the backlash of my machine.
> What mechanical set up could I use to measure it?

I used a dial test indicator attached to the spindle.  I have one of
the 'Indcol' clone mounts that wraps around the Bridgeport spindle
nose, and has movable links to hold the indicator.  I use this for
centering the spindle over a hole in the workpiece and such.

Mounting some flat object on the table, you can approach the indicator
until you get some reading, note the CNC position readout or handle
dial reading, then go past this point, and return to the same reading on

the dial indicator (but now you are approaching that reading from the
opposite direction) and see what the CNC or dials read.  The difference
is your backlash.