From: Anders Blix <anders.blix-at-tv2.no>
To: Multiple recipients of list <emc-at-nist.gov>
Subject: SV: Getting EMC to install. Was: Is EMC and RTL2.2.13 viable?
Date: Saturday, March 11, 2000 9:19 AM

	Thanks a lott!!!!

	Hope this wil do it.

	Btw, would it be possible to make a complete list of what components
are neded and other setupp things that need to be taken care of???? I think
this would be helpfull for manny trying to get this ting to work. It is
most
certainly needed! Many people trying to install the pakage are not
sxperienced with linux as it is.

	I downloaded the prepatched kernel for RTLinux 2.0, and I most
certainly found the install.phil file extremely helpfull. Annybody
experiencen enough to make this kind of help file for EMC?

> > I have no linux subdirectory in rtl/include . Anny ideas why??? And
> > should there be? When I cheked the rtl tarfile it didn't contain anny
> > rtl/include/linux file or directory either.
>
> The /rtl/include/linux dir should have been created wherever you
installed
> the RTL kernel source - I installed mine in /opt/rtl/. Just make a link
in
> your /usr/src directory that points to it.

	I untared the file once more to se if it was there, but it wasn't.
Is this directory made during a compilation or something????

> > 3: It has the line:
> >
> > Makedepend=/usr/X11R6/bin/makedepend
> >
> > If I look I can't find that file or directory either. And in my
> > install log there are several error 126 because of this as vel.
> >

> makedepend - you will need to install the Xfree86-devel RPM to get this
> file
> and also some X headers that emc will need.  You probly should re-
> ./install
> (not ./compile)emc after you install the RPM because the emc ./install
> wants
> to copy files to directories that didn't exist before you install
> Xfree86-devel.
>
> > 4: In my logfile there is a reference to X11/Xlib.h
> >
> > This causes an error 1. Anny idea about this???
> >

> Install Xfree86-devel
>
> > 5: In my logfile at some point says:
> >
> > no rule to make target:
> > /usr/lcal/nist/emc/plat/linux_2_2_13/lib/iosh.o
> > target 'all' not remade because of errors
> > plat/linux_2_2_13/bin/tkio
> >
> > This causes an error 2.
>
> I haven't been able to make iosh.o yet either.

	Another pakage not installed needed??????

> > When I try to run sim.run I get to the point where it is trying to
> > start bridgeport(someting), and it cant start it.
> >
> same here.  when I try to run the real thing it loads 4 or 5 modules and
> when it loads freqmot.o my system locks up bigtime.  I'm thinking my CPU
> is
> too slow to service the RTL module every 16.7us is it?  I may try
> increasing
> that.  I'm working with a pentium 100mhz - is that realisticaly going to
> work?

	Hope so. I'm runnung on an 166 Pentium. I have no problems with slo
response when I try to start the sim.run script. But when I tryed emc.run
my
machine became REALY slo. It took about 20-30 sekonds from when I moved the
mouse until it reacted. After a few minutes it suddenly shutt down the
window, and I was back in normal mode.

	Anders Blix