Re: Homebrew STG card - IEEE 1394 firewire

On Fri, 03 Mar 2000, Doug Fortune wrote:

>Adaptec has cards and development kits:

They don't anymore - kits - I mean.

Maybe it would be possible to ask Adaptec what this kit was all about ?  Maybe
they still could have something ?

I said something about using a DMA channel,  but this would work much in the
same way -

But here you work back towards some of the initital stages of EMC, - I think.
You need dedicated controllers again.   To me it seems like this is an endless
battle -  use a normal PC or add dedicated controllers.

Jon Elson suggested to wire up an expansion to the par-port,  and for a
"homebrew"  system - this may be the easiest way to go.  You don't need any
FPGA chip either,  just some simple buffers and logic.

The problem is to plan for some sort of an overall architecture.  This creates
so much trouble - that I guess the best thing would be to just keep things
stupid simple.  Any homebrew card that would have what STG boards have, will
not be cheap and simple,  no matter what you do.  (IMO, cheaper Yes, simple No)

//ARNE