Re: Homebrew STG card

Hi Matt, Jon, & Chris

I have shied away from gate arrays and programmable logic - the software tools
and programming hardware has been to expensive to justify. The idea of using
just one chip for all the digital functions does sound appealing. The other
alternative would be simulating LS7266 functions with a PIC chip.
The dissadvantage of going down this route, would be limiting the silicon
source to whom ever had the files and/or programer.

HD SCSI type connector - I would favour a standard box header, dirt cheap and
reliable. With putting the analog, encoder inputs, and the logic IO onto
individual headers.

Analog inputs would be easy. Or an unused output from the MAX547 could be used
in conjunction with a comparator.

A small area could be set aside for breadboarding additional interface
options, subject to space. Or perhaps use this area for 8254's and anothe 8255.

With regards prototype boards, I have, in the past had PTH boards made - the
films were added on to another clients artwork. I paid just the tooling and
board charges, the film work was free and the company had cash. A reasonable
agreement all round.

I've had a look at the C source for stg.o and stg2.o - I'm afraid I don't
realy understand it. Most of my programming has been machine code for 8031 and
Z80 chips. With a bit of dbase and a dabble in one or two other high level
languages. I have a copy of the STG manual, so it shuoldn't be too difficult
to work out how they impliment the various functions. Although a new emc
module would make life a lot easier to design the hardware - a case of passing
the buck ? ( or should that be Euro this side of the pond )

Regards, Paul.