This weekend..

This weekend I hav done more than 10 atempts to install RTLinux release9J
without anny sucsess.

The first 5 or so times I tryed to use the script Tim Goldstein have made.
He wrote that you have to make a workstation install to make it work, so I
format one of my 1.2G disks (I have got two 1.2G disks an the computer that
I wil install EMC from the company I work since they have no use for it
annymore).
First of all I want to have a small partition on it that i DOS. Therefore I
format 300M for that. Ok, then I make a completely new installation from a
CD i have burned. This is made from an ISO-file I downloaded from RedHat. I
think the latest versions  for 5.2 of all the components are on it.
I folow the procedure in the instruction exactly, but the first time no
vmlinuz-1 are made at all, so it doesnt work at all.
I reinstall it all over again, and this time things seem to go ok. I
restart, and the boot begins to boot, but when a bit more than a full page
have been written it halts giving a mesage that I don't remember, but it is
unable to start something.
The next ting I try is to test it on the other harddrive. The drive I used
the first time had some funny things making it beleve ti war on 1.5G instead
of 1.2G. I manage to fix it by using fdisk not asigning partitions to more
space than there actualy are. But this made me think maybe I should try the
other disk just to be sure. It was at least working perfectly from the
start. I had already installed a custom install on it, and it had worked
perfect for a few weeks.
But I decid to make a completely new install and folow the script excactly.
But also this time I wanted to have a DOS partition, so I first made it.
Could this be a reason for it not working??????
But this time I suddenly had another serious problem. My machine just
freezed after a  few minutes. The first 3-4 times it did that when I resized
my windows. When I finaly get the compiling started it freezes in the midle
of the compiling. The second attempt at compiling is succsefull, but also
this time my computer is not able to boot. I boots when I use the bootdisk,
but then I have no RTLinux.
Then I decidet to try to go throug the script by typing it manually. But
then I'm not at all able to start xconfig. It comes up with missing files
and aborts.
Now my NT4.0 installation on the DOS-parttition also freezes!!!!!

Ok, then I have to strugle some hours to get bouth disks to work on the
computer at the same time. When I finaly manages to do that I install 5.2 on
the first disk and 6.1 on the second. This seems to work, but I have not
tryed to install RTLinux on anny of the installations yet.

WHY are EMC only ported to 5.2 still???? Most of the files refered to in the
different installatin tips arn't even there annymore because they are
considdered to old. And thre are new and hopefully much more stable and
reliable releases of RTLinux out now. How about a version for any of them.
The versin for Linux6.1 are on an old beta-version......

Now it's not long time until I give upp completely and just waits til an
easy to install version comes out.

Phew. This have been some weekend. My girfrend must be at lesat ar irritated
as me as wel, because I think I have been in front of the computer at least
24 hours this weekend. But the worst thing I know is giving up when it realy
should work!

Hope annyboddy have some REALY GOOD TIPS. I think I can need that now.

Anders Blix.
Norway.
Not so shure if I ever will be an EMC-user.....