Re: can't run bridgeporttask

Hi Luc,

I had a similar problem way back with the unresolved __throw:

This came about by trying to resurrect 2.0.36 rtlinux (and EMC) from a
RedHat 6.0 or 6.1
base installation (I needed the RH6 driver for my new ethernet card).
Note that RH6.1 played with the partition magic making the installation of
5.2 on top of RH6.1 created partitions impossible. This meant formatting
and installing 5.x partitions, then upgrading to RH6.1 (so I could install
the ethernet card) and then re-installing RH5.2 compilers.

But the libraries for the gcc compiler changed, in particular g++ exception
handling (thow and catch) which got introduced with the compliance to the
Standard C++. So, when I had to re-install the existant gcc libraries of
RedHat 5.2,  this got really ugly. To figure it out, I even brought over
the source to gcc and installed it with debugging turned on so I could
figure out where and who did what.

Then there is the issue "load-libraries" (do "ldd" on an executable to see
which libraries it loads  dynamically -- can be controlled some by using
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH). These come into play if you re-install previous versions
of gcc on top of newer ones.  I ended up making changes like changing the
the links of the .so to point to the .so.1 instead of the .so.2 for
instance to resolve the last ones.

I do not recommend the above to anybody -- but do check your libraries and
compilers.

 You can however do the following:

1) find the gcc version used for the rcslib.a (and all other ones you link
with)
     go to rcslib/plat/<linuxVersion>/lib directory
     (substitute the appropriate version for <linuxVerson> above)

     => ar -x librcs.a rcsvers.o; strings rcsvers.o; rm rcsvers.o

     tells us that compiler version was "egcs-2.91.66" for instance.

2) find out which g++ version you are using and compare with above
     => g++ --version

If you get it to link and have run time errors:

3)find out which libc++ dynamic library you are using
     go to the emc/plat/<linuxVersion>/bin

     => ldd emcmotsim

     (or any which linked) and see that libstdc++.so is being used
     (e.g., libstdc++6.1-1.so.2)
     Then go to /usr/lib and find what compiler built  the associated .a

     =>  strings libstdc++6.1-1.a.2 | grep egcs | grep GCC | uniq

It helps to have all the above with the same version of egcs (which is
gcc/g++).

-----------------------------
The problem stems from pre-compiled RCSLIB existant in the distribution of
EMC.

----EMC Folk:  it would be nice to include the source used to build the
rcslib as part of the distribution

< At one point I downloaded all the RCS components (can't seem to get to
those web sites any more) and recompiled the RCSLIB (and thus everything in
EMC) with the same compiler/link libraries. That worked, but left me a
little un-easy since I didn't know if the RCS source I had was not edited
by EMC and thus I may have introduced a non-functioning (but compiles and
links) executable. >

When EMC for linux 2.2 came out and I re-formatted my disk and re-installed
RH-6.1 and the new EMC and was very happy.

Will Shackleford <shackle-at-cme.nist.gov>-at-nist.gov on 02/10/2000 05:06:19 AM
Voice Mail #:

Please respond to emc-at-nist.gov

Sent by:  emc-at-nist.gov