Re: Puzzled

Ian Wright wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am I missing something or is it not possible to reset the axis figures to
> zero in EMC without physical home switches?

There are several ways to do it.  The most universal way is to go to
MDI mode, and enter G92 X0 (or whatever axis, and whatever coordinate
you want to set it to).  Depending on the user interface you are using, there
are also ways to do it through on-screen menus in the later (Xemc,
TkEmc) programs.

>  If not it would seem to me to
> be a very useful addition, particularly on the 'z' axis.  I am thinking
> particularly of the way in which I am likely to use a lot of dental burrs in
> milling small parts or other sundry small and probably surplus milling
> cutters. Setting a length for these would be difficult if it has to be done
> as a measurement but, if the cutter could just be jogged down until it
> touched a point on the work, perhaps indicated by the completion of an
> electrical circuit lighting a bulb, and the display for that axis then
> zeroed and instructed that that is the home position for that axis, it would
> make setting up a whole lot easier.  I hadn't realised that this function
> appeared to be missing until I was playing about with backplot today and,
> after aborting a run part way through, found that I couldn't then home or
> reset the axis displays to zero without shutting down the program and
> starting again from scratch.

Well, how do you normally do this?  You can't do it in auto mode.  You
need to be in manual to do it through the screen menus, or MDI for the
G92 method.