Re: Backplotter & tkemc

Fred Proctor wrote:

> Ray,
>
> Thanks for the info on the Tk stuff in the dropbox. You can put
> attachments in email to me. Our firewall checks them for viruses but
> otherwise they come through clean.
>
> I was thinking about how you and I and others can edit the GUI files and
> keep consistent. There's a program called CVS (Concurrent Versioning
> System), which is based on the Revision Control System I use for
> versioning. CVS allows multiple edits on the same file, and merges the
> changes, assuming there's no overlap in the pieces within the file. I
> haven't used it but it's supposedly pretty good.
>
> The trouble is that it's designed to be used by people who can all mount
> the same directory. So it's not too convenient for us. I'm looking
> around for an alternative or a recommended way to use CVS in a group
> like ours. If you come across anything let me know.

We are using CVS to perform the same function for a group working
on flight simulators.  (It is called flight gear.)  I think development is
mostly
being done on Linux systems, but there are windows users, Sun, SGI
and others.  I'll try to find out how the CVS is set up.  I'm pretty sure it

will require all authorized users to have a user account on a machine,
somewhere.  Then, users who want to make a change to something
pull the latest version of a fiile over to their local machine, blocking
anyone else from updating that file until they either release it or check
in an update.