Re: What a mess 4

Arne and

NIST in EMC works within the idea of no hard-wired toggle switches, pots,
or other devices that hold emc in a specific state.  They do this so that
all aspects of machine control can be made to work over a network or
distributed control system.

With the exception of e-stop, and maybe feedhold, I kinda like the idea.
Although if one of the suits in the front office started up a machine while
I was servicing it, I'd be -- well distressed.

I think that we could implement the feed override with an increase button
and a decrease button or a set of steps 0, 25, 50, 75, 100 or a cheap pulse
coder.  The steps idea could be programmable through the ini or the gui.

The RS232 idea really appeals to me because you could feed it with a wide
variety of hardware.  A couple of chips and you could watch many momentary
buttons and feed the results to a serial in. The rt routine would just have
to change the state of some shmem bits and I think that we could get access
to the information with the new tkio stuff.

My thought on panel lamps was that you'd read the result on the computer
screen but you could make the RS232 a two way thing.

I've got a drawing around someplace on a lathe panel.  If I can find it
I'll post it to the drop box.

Ray