Re: latest release

Dan and list

I downloaded emc-Jan-21-2000.tgz.  The first time I compiled it I got some
of the same time skew messages that were around with y2k and someone on the
list.  Took linux down, bios clock was okay, so I brought it back up and
tried the compile again and it went file.  I'm wondering if it could be an
xwindows problem or linux shifting wall time over a long run so that its
time is behind the download time from my download machine. (I know nothing
about this)

Next I started by copying in my own run and ini files and the first startup
failed -- unable to establish nml communication with some file or another.
I have this problem every time I start up a new build.  I think it is
looking for a log file that it creates on the first pass but can't connect
to in time to go ahead.  The second and subsequent startups of any
combination of machine except freqmod.o based machines seems to work fine.

What happens with freqmod.o seems to be that it loads into the kernel but
does not get removed when emc stops.  Then when you try to load another
machine using  steppermod.o a run file command collides with the still
running freqmod.o.  I have to shutdown linux and re-boot because I can't
remember the proper command to remove the running module.

Other than these minor problems the new release works fine to run my
existing machines.  It doesn't kick in the revised stepper driver unless
you do a bunch of editing to generic.ini and use the generic.run file to
apply freqmod.o and I haven't had time to do enough with the new stepper
driver to comment on it.

Ray