Re: Two Questions

Clint Bach wrote:

> > > 1.  In xemc while in MDI mode every keystroke I type into the box looks
> > > like a white block with nothing in it.  The program does execute the
> > > commands propperly but I can't read it myself.  I assume this can be
> > > fixed with a change of the fonts or colors or something like that but
> > > how can I do it?  I have been running tkemc because it does not have
> > > this problem.
> >
> > Wierd!  I've never seen this.  I'm using the default color setup with
> > XFREE86.  Which window manager are you using?
> >

> I'm using fvwm2...  I also, as a test, tried AfterStep and fvw95 with no
> difference observed.  I use stepper motoers for the axes.
>
> "I" meaning the concious thinking me in my own body did not set the
> colors or much of anything else in the xwindow system.  "I" let the
> computer do it.  "I" don't even know where to look for those
> settings...  I guess this doesn't help much huh?

I don't have much of an idea where the problem is.  I'd look in the
xemc or TkEmc sources, and see what colors are being called up
for the MDI dialog, obviously it is a different color than other objects
on the screen are using.  There is also a possibility that the source
got corrupted, and the drawing mode of those characters are set
wrong.  One last possibility is, I think the MDI may be the only
small reverse video chars on the screen.  Are you using an old,
low res monitor on the emc machine?  It may not have enough
video bandwidth, and the characters' bright background is just bleeding
together.  (I use a crummy monitor on mine, too.  I really don't want
to put an expensive monitor where oil, coolant and chips will get
into the works!)

> > > 2.  I'm running stepper motors off the parallel port and would like to
> > > use some of the outputs for the 5th and 6th axes to turn the spindle,
> > > coolant, vacuum, etc. on and off.  Can I reroute the outputs to do this
> > > and if so how do I do it?
> >
> > Hmm, these things are controlled by two separate programs, which
> > are not coordinated to not step on each other's toes.  Possibly, if
> > you use bits on the auxilliary control register for one function, and
> > only on the main data register for the other, it might work OK.
> > See the .ini file for the bit assignments.  The auxilliary register has
> > bit numbers of 8-15, while the main data register uses 0-7.
> > Then specify the same address for both parallel ports, and see
> > if you get a conflict.

> Good information.  Thanks.  I'll look into that and see if I can find
> out what's going on.  Would it be easier to just add another parallel
> port?

If you have the slots open, this would be easier, by far.  Also, as updates
come along, you won't need to integrate your changes into each new
version!  The first time, it would be hard to get it to work, but then it
would be a pain on every update.