Re: TkEmc problems

Jon and other tkemc users

I posted a slightly modified tkemc.gz on linuxcnc.org that addresses the
file viewer comment you posted.  I noticed that problem some time ago but
have been running my own gui and I'd changed that part of their system.

At 01:41 AM 1/17/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>To: Fred Proctor and others working on the TkEmc interface
>
>I had some problems with TkEmc over the weekend.  It was the
>first time I did some serious work with it, and I ran into some
>very strange behavior, including something that is pretty dangerous.
>
>I had motion on axes that I was not commanding to move, in
>MDI.  Here is what I did :
>1.  X17.25 F10
>2. X0
>(so far, everything was fine)
>3. Y-.02
>(observed a positive X move.  I think it was moving
>to X17.25 Y-.02, but I had to abort it before it caused a problem.)
>I saw it do this 3 times, in about an hour of work, where I did
>this operation about a dozen times.  It always was on the MDI
>move of the Y axis alone, on a very short -Y move, after a very
>long X move + and then back to about X0.

I guess that's dangerous.  I haven't seen anything like it and
couldn't duplicate it here.  But I have been annoyed by the last
mdi staying in the widget after you enter.  I took that out.

Were these long moves incremental or absolute?

>In TkEmc, if you externally edit an RS-274D file, and then attempt to
>reload the file with the open command, and OK the dialog box, the
>new program DOES not show on the screen.  You see the old program.
>When you execute it, You see it work down the OLD program lines,
>while it correctly executes the NEW program lines.  The only way to
>refresh the view is to load some different program by name, then reload
>the new program by name.  If you use the edit window, you see the
>new program, but if you don't change it, it still doesn't update the
>program text on the main display.

I think that I fixed this.  It is related to the fact that NIST wants
more than one gui to see the same stuff.  The nature of the fix is
described in the tkemcgz.tzt file

I'll work on the other problems as I get a chance.