Connection of hardware

Hello world of emc patronizers,

I'm rather lost a little with how to connect everything together and maybe
somebody could help me out.

INTRODUCTION:

   I have my pc running rt-linux with emc based code and a 4-axis ServoToGo
   card.

   I'm still selecting my n- axis servo-motors w/ drives, encoders and
   limit switches, so I don't know what connectivity they will offer (e.g.,
   an opto-isolated bread board with a 50-pin connector that plugs directly
   to ServoToGo board ??)
   [ I'm eyeing an IDC x-y positioning tables (RB6) with associated drives
   (B8001) ]

   Rather than a mill, I'll be adapting the emc code to run a lathe with
   control of the spindle motor rotation as my third axis.

   I currently selecting my opto-22 racks and some I/O modules, so I'm
   trying to decide which racks are appropriate.

PROBLEM: Selecting I/O racks and modules

   Question 1: What suggestions do you have in so far as getting I/O
   opto-isolation racks?  (D-Series with field wiring terminal strip)
     For instance, getting a SNAP 12-module rack (48 I/O connections) to
     connect P1 and P2 and then a SNAP 6-module rack for the P3

   Question 2: Does P3 usually connect directly to encoder I/O or is
   another opto-22 SNAP rack needed? Are quadrature I/O modules needed in
   that case?
Any help is greatly appreciated. --- NOTE: I'm only a software person so go
easy on me.

John Moore