Re: 5 axis mill sounds cool

Clint Bach wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If EMC can runn 5 axes I can build a machine to run it on.  But how
> could we draw and program for the darn thing without about a bajillion
> dollars worth of software?  I wouldn't even know where to start...  Any
> suggestions?

Well, a completely general purpose CAD/CAM system would cost tens
of thousands of dollars, equipped with 5-axis surface generation.

On the other hand, most of us would VERY rarely need the full 4- or
5-axis features.  In that case, it might make a lot more sense to write
computer programs to generate the toolpaths for those specific jobs.
I'm thinking more of 4-axis work, for exotic stuff like helical gears and
turbine blades.  these would be things I'd very rarely do, so a bit of
extra work wouldn't kill me.

I have also thought of using a CNC dividing head on a 3-axis machine
for sharpening the side flutes of dull end mills.